The popular middle eastern dish made even healthier by the cooking method, delicious! Portions per serving on the Good Habits Plan 1 x Protein or Carbohydrate ¼ x milk 55 optional calories
- Spray oil
- 1 small onion chopped finely
- 1 Garlic Clove crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes or chilli powder
- 425g can of chick peas drained
- 1 medium egg
- 60g whole meal breadcrumbs
- 3 tablesppon fresh coriander chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Shredded lettuce to serve
- for the dressing
- 150m skimmed natural yogurt
- 2 teaspoon fresh chopped mint
- 1/2 small cucumber diced finely.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 5/190ºC. Spray a non stick frying pan with the spray oil. Gently cook the onion and garlic until softened but not brown.
- Stir in the ground coriander, cumin and chilli flakes. Cook for a minute and then remove from the heat.
- Place in a food processor with the chick peas, egg, breadcrumbs, seasoning and fresh coriander
- Blend until well combined and then, using your hands and a desert spoon; shape the mixture into 16 small balls. Place them on a non stick baking sheet and cook for 20 minutes.
- To make the dressing, mix the yogurt and mint together and stir in the cucumber. Season to taste.
- Serve the falafel on a bed of shredded lettuce, drizzle with the mint and cucumber dressing.