Classic Mexican style fare. Great feel good food, tasty, a favourite for the whole family. Portions per serving on the Good Habits Plan 3.5 x protein 2 x carbohydrates 2 x vegetables 10 optional calories
- Cooking Spray Oil
- 400 g Lean Beef Mince
- 1 large Onion Finely Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic Crushed
- 1 medium Red Pepper Deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon Chilli Powder (more if you like it really hot)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 400 g Canned Tomatoes Drained and chopped
- 180 g Kidney Beans Canned and drained
- 1 Beef Stock Cube Made up with 250ml boiling water
- 240 g Dry Brown Rice
- 80 g (4 tablespoons) Plain Fat Free Yogurt
- Heat a large pan over a medium heat. When hot, spray with spray, add the mince, increase the temperature and cook for 4 -5 minutes, stirring all the time until browned.
- Stir in the onion, garlic and red pepper and cook for a further 4-5 minutes until the onion has started to soften. Add the chilli powder and cumin and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, kidney beans and beef stock and season to taste. Bring to a simmer, cover the pot and stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice. Serve the chilli and rice, topped with a spoonful of yogurt sprinkled with a little chilli powder and garnished with coriander.